Tuesday 16 March 2010

The DIY Rig Project...

Part 1: The Matte Box.

I'm working to an incredibly small budget right now and the new camera and accessories pretty well wiped me out. So, being the resourceful bugger that I am, I popped to my local DIY store and grabbed a handful of materials.

I'm making a fully railed rig with follow-focus, matte box (with filter holder) and a slider. All of which will be tripod mountable.

To get things moving, I started with the matte box. Cut from a gas fire installation plate (a light guage aluminium) and held together with a combination of 2mm pop-rivets and m6 bolts. The bolts are currently 25mm and have large, unattractive wing-nuts but I'm on the lookout for 20mm replacements and some prettier anodised thumb-screw-type nuts. Meanwhile, cost is more important than looks.




Next step will be the rail system with mounts to support the camera body and matte box. Then I'll work on the integrated filter holder. Finally, I'll make a follow-focus to fit the rails.

Keep posted for the next instalment.

No comments:

Post a Comment